My Name is Memory - Ann Brashares


“I did the searching and remembering, she did the disappearing and the forgetting.” 

Synopsis (from Goodreads)

 Daniel has spent centuries falling in love with the same girl. Life after life, crossing continents and dynasties, he and Sophia (despite her changing name and form) have been drawn together-and he remembers it all. Daniel has "the memory", the ability to recall past lives and recognize souls of those he's previously known. It is a gift and a curse. For all the times that he and Sophia have been drawn together throughout history, they have also been torn painfully, fatally, apart. A love always too short.

Interwoven through Sophia and Daniel's unfolding present day relationship are glimpses of their expansive history together. From 552 Asia Minor to 1918 England and 1972 Virginia, the two souls share a long and sometimes torturous path of seeking each other time and time again. But just when young Sophia (now "Lucy" in the present) finally begins to awaken to the secret of their shared past, to understand the true reason for the strength of their attraction, the mysterious force that has always torn them apart reappears. Ultimately, they must come to understand what stands in the way of their love if they are ever to spend a lifetime together.

Rants & Raves

 I read this book with less expectation. A friend told me this is like Fallen and I never liked that one. 

I say, I was satisfied during the whole course of reading. I loved the story line, its past-present narration and the characters are likable. I kept on picturing Daniel in his different lifetimes. A handsome merchant Daniel, potbellied Daniel, scrawny kid Daniel. Though, I see a lot of Edward from Twilight in him (that loving from afar, almost-stalker-but-thank-god-you're-goodlooking kind of thing) with a dash of brusque brought from his old life living as a soldier. An interesting character that I hoped to read more is his old pal Ben. I think its funny when old soul Ben in a body of a cute five year old girl. As for Joachim, I hope there's going to be a book 2. Daniels' not done with him, they got an ancient issue to score. 

Its ending is a total letdown. What an irritating way to end a beautiful novel. I was like..that's it? No f****** way! Really disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment