Looking for Alaska - John Green


"I go to seek a Great Perhaps."

Synopsis (from Amazon)

 Before. Miles “Pudge” Halter is done with his safe life at home. His whole life has been one big non-event, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave “the Great Perhaps” even more (Francois Rabelais, poet). He heads off to the sometimes crazy and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young. She is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart. Then. . . .

After. Nothing is ever the same.

Rants / Raves

 The novel started slow then as I progress the pace is meant to read slow to normal. I'm not much on reading "coming-of-age" novel. Surprisingly, I came to like it. I love the pranks. I specifically liked the basketball game scenes, the cheers are amusing and Chip being thrown out of every ball game is funny.

I was torn into giving this 3 or 4 stars. Finally settled to four because I like the characters. How they were introduced, their habits, smart retorts and their personalities. Like, Miles being drawn to famous personalities last dying words; Chip's pranks, his poverty & how he wanted to give his mom a huge two-storey house; how Lara was poor in Romania but ended up rich (with green limo) in Alabama; even Alaska, the character I dislike, portrayed as an enigmatic chic who can pull up a prank like a guy. I also loved how the story line was narrated countdown. The before and after.


Film Adaptation: The film rights to the novel was acquired by Paramount Pictures last 2005. Unfortunately, Paramount Studios was not interested and therefore, was put on hold indefinitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment